Thursday, February 4, 2010

Party Affiliation is Now Meaningless

I got a call last night around 9:30 PM from the Republican National Committee trying to solicit more money to continue my long term membership into 2010. I get letters and calls every week from Jeff Sessions, Michael Steele, Jim DeMint, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, and their aides, all asking for money. I usually tell them to get lost and I tear up and throw out the mail.

I sometimes go into a long tirade with the callers telling them I won’t give a dime to a political party with no leaders, and uncertain message, and no horse to ride in 2012. I guess it took the “Massachusetts Miracle” to wake the Republicans up, but they still don’t know what to do.

Most of you who read my posts know that I tend to support the policies that are espoused by the Republican Party and I have been a registered Republican for many years. Surprise! However, I am quite disappointed in Republican politicians who only spend their time criticizing the President’s agenda, rather than clearly articulating their policies and vision for America.

A good example recently occurred when a vulnerable President went before a conference of House Republicans a few days ago after the Scott Brown election in Massachusetts. Obviously, we must treat our President with respect, but most of these Congressmen completely let him off the hook and failed to ask penetrating questions and to hold him accountable for the multitude of mistakes and bad decisions we have seen from this Administration ranging from the economy, to national security, to foreign policy. Instead, they worked from prepared notes rather than engage him in real debate about the outlandish remarks, mistruths, and manipulation of the facts that we hear in most of his public appearances.

The Republican Party has a cadre of very young and talented Congressmen and Senators such as Jim Spence, Eric Cantor, Paul Ryan, John Thune, Tim Pawlenty, and now Scott Brown, not to mention former governors and senators such as Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, and Rick Santorum, etc. Until I see the Party get behind a few of these fellows and initiate an effort to bring them forward to the public and the opposition and not only showcase them on Fox News, I am unaffiliated.

I guess right now I’m a member of the Tea Party. One of those who are angry and frustrated with what’s going on in Washington and in the financial community and neither Party gets a dime from me until I hear a coherent and consistent message, see the vision, and observe the choices available for 2012. After seeing what’s happening to this nation under the current progressive Pelosi, Reid, Obama agenda, I am in a panic mode and a man without a Party. Perhaps that means I’m an Independent and judging from the polls there’s a lot more of us these days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment